Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bees at the Kentucky Shaker Village


On a recent trip in May to the lovely restored Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill in Kentucky, I observed all manner of livestock: chickens, goats, cattle, horses and donkeys.  It occurred to me, as a beekeeper, to wonder if there were bees about.


Sure enough, during a morning stroll we found a couple hives in the apple orchard.  One hive was dead and empty, but the other seemed to be perking along quite nicely.


I don't know if the original Shakers had hives next to these apple trees, but I would like to think that they did.  I am fairly certain that someone kept bees there...for the honey to sweeten their food, and for the bees to pollinate their crops.


The Shaker's version of an assistant beekeeper, on the wall behind the hives.

1 comment:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

You have brought back pleasant memories of Pleasant Hill, an overnight trip early in our marriage. We returned again with our children.
nellie