Monday, May 5, 2008

Double Deeps

The bees are now moving into their second deep, bustling about, building new comb. I know this without looking. I trust my girls. We learned at the Buncombe County Bee Chapter meeting tonight that the reason they've quit hitting the sugar water is because the nectar is flowing and they are finding superior stuff outside the hive. If you click on this picture and make it larger, you'll note one bee in yellow leg warmers....pollen that she is delivering for food for the babies in the hive. I believe that bee at the very front edge of the hive bottom with its rear end up in the air is sending out a homing pheromone...the smell of home to help guide the workers home.

Aren't they tall and pretty? Later this week I'll go out and take the feeders off the top, since they are no longer needed. The bees are bringing home their own groceries.

No comments: