Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time to Mow


Aiiee, look at all the grass. After a couple cold, damp days in which the bees stayed huddled at home, we had a gorgeous afternoon. Sunshine, dancing bees and tall green grass. So I mowed. I mowed with an eye on the hives at all times. The bees, for their part, ignored me completely. I mowed to the rear of them, I mowed to the sides, I mowed all around the yard. Finally nothing was left but a small square area directly in front of the hives. I stopped mowing and just watched the girls fly home. Six or ten of them at a time would land on the front step and stroll into the hive. They did not dally, but marched on in. It was very peaceful, watching them return. Then, when the traffic had slowed a bit, I took my quiet person-powered old-fashioned mower (what we call the click-click) and carefully finished the job. I did put on a hat for the last few licks, lest some homeward bound chicklet get tangled in my hair and sting in a hair-tangled panic. Other than that, just wore my mowin' clothes. So, not so bad, the mowing. More exciting than usual. These bees, they are adding all kinds of spice to my dull little life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say, I'm insanely jealous of your bees. We have talked about bee keeping when we finally settle somewhere, but that would actually require settling. Ha!
Until then, I'll just be jealous of yours, and pray for their safe keeping.
Cheers!

Chapeltree said...

Excellent. Glad to hear I'm still a leader among women.